Friday, November 13, 2015

Hello and Nice to Meet You.

Since I've gotten an influx of new followers lately, I thought it was about time that I properly introduced myself.

Hi! I'm Leah Coccari-Swift.



I was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin by my parents, Diane Coccari and Ken Swift, who are also amazing public school teachers. Ever since I can remember, they have instilled in me the importance of doing and making (rather than buying). We always had a big vegetable garden. My parents met while living in India and I have a big Indian extended "family" and grew up eating mostly Indian food. Consequently, I love spicy food and have been known to travel with my own hot sauce.

Since I was pretty young, I've struggled with depression and anxiety. Currently the anxiety is more of an issue than the depression, and I consider myself very fortunate. I have a plan of attack that works for me and I am sticking with it.

I have a 4-years younger brother named Caleb who is a farmer, beekeeper, sometimes-butcher, and all-around hardworking and inspiring dude. I have come to realize how lucky I am to have close family that I love and admire.

I love outdoor adventures. When I was 17, I canoed (with 7 other young women) through the Canadian wilderness to Hudson Bay for 55 days. We covered about 750 miles of mostly uninhabited wilderness. We had a polar bear encounter. Remind me to tell you about that sometime.

I went to Beloit College and majored in Studio Art (drawing/painting). I wrote a children's book for my senior show called Margo and the Monster.

The monster under your bed can be your friend!

I met my husband Louis Marquis while we were both working at a summer camp... picture Wet Hot American Summer and you won't be far off. He works for a wonderful nonprofit called Playworks that is changing the lives of young people in under-served communities.

Louis and I lived in Los Angeles for 7 years. I have very mixed feelings about the city. Everything that anyone says about LA is true, good and bad. We found amazing friends through the Sociology department at USC, otherwise I don't know how we would have found our people. It's a fucked-up place but we had a wonderful life there for a time. I miss being wild and crazy and living near the ocean.


FUN(?) LEAH-FACTS!

  • My grandmother M'lou taught me to knit when I was 4 (see photo! She knit my sweater/hat, naturally)
  • I am 1/4 southern Italian--my Coccari family is from Calabria (toe of the boot)
  • I started cooking and babysitting when I was 10  #latchkeykid
  • I have only ever had rodents as pets so far (3 guinea pigs, one rat)
  • Opened my first shop at age 6. It was called "Rainbow Color Shop" and I sold jewelry and accessories to passersby in my neighborhood
  • Got big thick glasses when I was 2 years old, immediately snapped them in half with my tiny hands. Didn't have the effect I wanted. I still wear glasses (or contacts when I am feeling fancy)
  • In Los Angeles I worked at an LYS for 5 years, met lots of fancy famous people who knit
  • Both my parents are feminists who raised me to be strong and independent
  • I've worked many retail/food service jobs over the years. My first "real" job was at Sears in the Men's clothing department when I was 16. Can I show you to the Dockers shelf?
  • Like many a nature-wanderer, I've had Lyme disease

I am always working to get better at social media, and posting regularly, and all that jazz that is so important for us small-business people. I greatly admire all the (mostly) women that run their own creative brands like badasses. I hope you stick around to see what's next! And as always, if you have any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading.


6 comments:

Brooke said...

You are so amazing and talented. I love you and I'm so proud to know you!

Heather said...

So many fun Leah facts! I am happy we met during your wild California adventure.

Kat Riddell said...

So great getting to know you! High five, fellow Lyme Disease victim! I had it the end of my junior year of high school-got half my final exams forgiven!

Leah said...

I love you, NF!

Leah said...

Me too, H-bomb. Me too.

Leah said...

Woooah score! Ha. High five!